I am a Brit but have lived in Barcelona since the start of 2006.
I have resolved to be more thoughtful about what I buy.
There are a couple of reasons for this:
- I have too much stuff already
- I hate to waste things, including buying food that doesn’t get eaten – this means planning meals better and buying small amounts, not in bulk.
- I want to support local businesses instead of buying from chains and corporations.
- I don’t want my groceries and other goods to travel half way around the world, using resources and causing pollution as they go.
- By choice, I would prefer to buy organically grown food, to support the producers who are moving away from farming methods that require chemical fertilizers and pesticides whose use and production is damaging to the environment.
- Where possible I would like to buy fairly traded goods so I know that the producers are more likely to be getting a fair price for their produce.
Also, it seemed to me that I might simply have more interesting experiences by trying to follow these guidelines rather than ordering my groceries on line or going to the local supermarket a couple of times a week.
So far, this seems to be the case, so this blog will be a record of my shopping adventures as well as a guide for anyone who wants to use interesting local and/or family-owned businesses in Barcelona.